Thursday, August 21, 2014

Signature Fluted Edge Nine Grain Cucumber, Onion & Tomato Pizza

They say, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention." Well, I had to come out of retirement from the kitchen for this one. The Original Italian Bakery on Atwood Avenue in Johnston makes 9 grain pizza dough. I had some cubed cucumber marinating in EVOO and Cider Vinegar, the refrigerator. So, I drained the marinated cucumber and added another cucumber and decided to broil the cucumber with EVOO, chopped onion, a dash of salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and Cajun seasoning and fresh basil.

In the meantime I had the 9 grain dough rising in a bowl with a little bit of flour to keep it from getting sticky. When it had risen, I took it out of the bowl and put it on a pizza pan that had been sprayed with EVOO cooking spray. I spread it out and let it stand for a while so it would start to rise again in order to get a puffy pizza.

When the pizza dough had risen in the pizza pan, I fluted the edges. I then spread my marinara tomato sauce, sparingly, around the the pizza dough to the edges. I then spread the cucumber mixture around the pizza dough being sure to pour any juice the mixture may have retained out so as not to have a soggy pizza.

It is a perfectly delicious vegan pizza as is, or you can add pepperoni to enhance the flavor. I then placed it in my convection oven for 25/30 minutes at 400 degrees and out came a yumlicious pizza!
There is one more little detail that my mom used to incorporated which made the pizza a little extra delicious. My mom would rub the crust or edge of the pizza with butter and oh how yummy it was.
















No comments:

Post a Comment